Enjoying a healthy lifestyle is all about balance.
If, like me, you have a sweet tooth, it’s important that you keep it (or them) happy in the healthiest way possible.
This is a delicious dessert that although contains some sugar, also contains lots of health giving ingredients, in particular the red berries. Also remember that you are in control, because you’ve made it, you know there are no horrible and harmful preservatives or chemicals.
It tastes completely delicious too!!
Have a go and send me a pic!
Crunchy Hazelnut, Apple and Berry Ginger Cake
Just completely yummy, scrummy and delicious! (and simple too)
275g Self raising wholemeal flour
175g rolled oats
65g oat bran
125g soft brown sugar
2 tsps very lazy ginger or 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
2 tsp baking powder
150ml light olive oil
175ml low-fat plain yogurt
2 medium eggs
2 medium apples, skin on, cored and finely diced
275g frozen berries
60g hazelnuts, chopped
2 tbsp Demerara sugar
Preheat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160°C/gas 4.
Line a 20cm x 30cm baking tin with baking paper.
- To start, combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Then in a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, yogurt, Very Lazy ginger and eggs, then add to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Press half the mixture into the base of the prepared tin. Sprinkle with the apples and berries, then spoon over the remaining mix and spread evenly.
- Top with the chopped hazelnuts and Demerara sugar and bake for 30–40 min, until golden.
- Leave to cool in the tin before turning out and cutting into 24 pieces.