Have you got a busy weekend ahead that doesn’t give much time for cooking?
Give this delicious pot of scrumptiousness a go!
It’s very simple to make and will feed a houseful over the weekend.
Always try to buy best quality sausages. I get mine from my local butcher who does a ‘sin-free’ sausages which are made from 100% meat. Lentils offer great fibre and with the onions, garlic, olive and small amount of red wine, this dish is deliciously heart healthy!
300g green or brown lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions sliced
3 sticks celery chopped
1 sweet red pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic crushed peeled and chopped
3 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
3 large tomatoes peeled and chopped
4 tablespoons tomato puree
200ml red wine
400ml water approximately
6 best quality, sausages
Large bunch flat leaf parsley
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C /Gas 6.
- Prick the sausages and pop them in the oven to start cooking. If you have bought ‘sin-free’ butchers sausages, they shouldn’t contain much fat at all – but if they do, let the fat drain away from the meat. You are just going to brown them in the oven, they will cook properly inside the casserole.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, lidded casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the onions, celery and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced red pepper, thyme leaves (stripped from their stalks) the bay leaf, tomatoes and tomato puree, mix together and cook for 5 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add the lentils and red wine, and give a good stir. Then add just enough water to cover all the ingredients.
- Take the sausages out of the oven and place them on the top and cover over with a lid and cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes stirring in the parsley just before serving with some extra green veggies!
Have you seen the
‘Being The Best You Members Club’?
We are on a journey to get happier, healthier and slimmer – and everyone if doing great!
Many pounds lost – Many anxieties banished – many positive members loving life.
Come and join us! It could be you!
Find out more HERE