- Spray of olive oil (normal olive oil in a spray bottle – not a ‘low-fat’ spray)
- 4 wholemeal tortillas
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper, diced
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can no added salt kidney beans, drained
- Handful chopped fresh coriander or parsley leaves, plus extra leaves to serve
- 4 eggs
- 1 small avocado, diced
- Lime wedges, to serve
Eggs are so versatile and a great way to pack in a portion of protein to give you energy. These Baked Mexican Egg Bowls taste divine and are high in fibre too!
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
Spray 4 x 400ml approx (5–6cm deep) ovenproof dishes with olive oil. Gently push a tortilla into each dish to form a basket.
Spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chilli and pepper, then cook, stirring, for 4–5 min until softened.
Stir in the cumin and cook for 1 min, then add the tomatoes and kidney beans.
Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 8–10 min until thickened. Add the coriander or parsley, whichever you are using.
Spoon the tomato mixture into the tortilla cases. Make a small indentation in each mixture and crack an egg into it.
Bake for 15–20 min until the eggs are almost set.
Top with the diced avocado and extra herb leaves and serve with the lime wedges.