1 tbsp olive oil, plus a drizzle
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 celery stick, cut into 1cm chunks
1 large aubergine, cut into 1cm cubes
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp capers
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
400ml can cherry tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes)
Handful fresh basil
Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a high-sided frying pan over a high heat, add the onion, celery and aubergine with a pinch of LoSalt and freshly ground black pepper. Fry for 8-10 mins until golden and softened.
- Next add the garlic, dried oregano, capers, red wine vinegar and tomatoes.
- Half fill the empty tomato can with water and add to the pan, bring to the boil then turn the heat down to a simmer until the sauce has thickened and the veg softened.
- Squash the cherry tomatoes a bit with the back of a spoon, then stir in half the basil.
- Tip into bowls, top with the remaining basil and serve.
This is a delicious dish to serve with a baked white or sweet potato and a bit of grated cheese on top. Or serve with a couple of slices of nutty brown bread to break your fast.
Jam packed with flavour and goodness and will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.