2 tbsp olive oil
3 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 green peppers, peeled and very finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbsp plain flour
freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp curry powder
4 skinless chicken breast portions each cut into chunks
300ml/10floz/11/4 cups unsweetened apple juice
2 tbsp tomato purée
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or coriander, to garnish
Very quick and easy to make, this dish is beautifully light and the apple juice gives a lovely sweetness.
- In a large, lidded frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and add the onions and green peppers and stir well.
- Cook gently for 15 minutes, or until the onions are starting to soften and caramelize.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring well again. Take the onion and garlic mixture out of the pan and put to one side in a small bowl.
- In a separate, larger bowl, mix together the flour, black pepper, herbs and curry powder. Cover the chicken pieces in the flour mixture and shake off any excess.
- Over a high heat, cook the chicken in the frying pan (with a dash of extra olive oil if needed) for about 5 minutes. Turn, and cook for a further 5 minutes to brown all over.
- Pour in the apple juice and add the tomato purée. Stir really well to incorporate all of the flavours. Next return the onions and peppers to the pan, cover with a lid and cook for about 25 minutes.
- Check that the chicken is cooked right through. Sprinkle with a little parsley or coriander, then serve with basmati or wild rice if eating before 2pm.