150g of good quality dark chocolate, ideally 70% cocoa solids
50g good quality milk chocolate
200ml boiling water
tsp vanilla essence
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks & place in a glass bowl sitting over a pan of barely simmering water & melt gently. The
water in the pan should not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Once the chocolate is melted, add 200ml of just-boiled water (do not add water whilst it is still boiling as it may scorch the chocolate) in thirds, stirring after each addition to form a smooth but quite runny mixture.
- Add 1 tsp of proper vanilla essence (not flavouring) to the mixture and blend in.
- The mixture is very runny at this point but don’t worry, it will thicken as it cools.
- Pour this mixture into a lipped jug & then pour into small coffee cups or glasses. Using a lipped jug means you will be able to fill the cups easily without it dripping everywhere!
Note: these mousses are rich so you don’t want big portions.
- Put these mousses into the fridge to set for at least 1hour but bring back to room temperature before eating to soften to the right consistency.Dust with cocoa powder & serve as they are or serve with a dollop of crème fraiche or with fresh berry fruits or a crunchy biscotti-type biscuit.