Drizzle olive oil
1 large onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bay leaf
2tsp chopped fresh thyme
3 celery sticks, diced
600g lean beef mince
150ml very low salt beef stock
2tsp wholegrain mustard
1tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 small swede (about 450g), peeled and diced
375g carrots, sliced
150g frozen peas
25g parmesan, grated
Perfect to make in advance and heat through for a filling, low carb dinner when time is getting the better of you!
- Heat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
- Heat a large non-stick pan set over a medium heat and drizzle with oil. Add the onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and celery and cook for 6–8 min until soft. Add the mince and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for 5 min or until browned. Add the passata, stock, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 min.
- While the filling is cooking, add the swede and carrots to a large saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 min or until soft. Drain, then return to the pan and turn off the heat. Using a stick blender, blitz the vegetables into a purée, then season with black pepper.
- Stir the peas into the filling, then spoon the mixture into 4 x 450ml pie dishes or 1 x 1.75–2 litre baking dish. Cover evenly with the swede and carrot topping, then scatter with the parmesan.
- Bake for 20 min or until the topping is golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 min before serving.