- Olive oil in spray bottle
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Zest 1 lemon
- 2 medium courgettes, coarsely grated
- 8 eggs
- 125g ricotta
- 250g frozen spinach, thawed & squeezed of excess moisture
- Handful fresh basil – chopped (Save some for the side salad)
- 4 sheets filo pastry ( I used Jus-roll)
For the side salad
- 250g baby plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1tbsp white balsamic, or sherry, vinegar
- 200g baby rocket
- 1tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Savoury tarts are usually pastry-heavy and loaded with fat. This vegetarian version is packed with courgettes, spinach and a little ricotta, resulting in a healthier dish. Perfect for Being The Best You!
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Lightly spray a 20cm round spring-form baking tin with olive oil.
- Drizzle a little olive oil large non-stick frying pan and set over a medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 min or until softened. Add the garlic, lemon zest and courgettes and cook, stirring, for 2 min. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the eggs and ricotta together in a large bowl. Add the cooled courgette mixture, spinach and the chopped basil.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray 1 filo pastry sheet with olive oil. Fold in half, then place it over the base and sides of the greased baking tin. Spray again with oil. Repeat with the remaining filo, overlapping each sheet slightly, to completely line the tin.
- Spoon the filling mixture into the filo base. Fold any excess filo over the filling to cover the edges slightly.
- Bake for 35–40 min until the tart is set and golden.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, red onion, balsamic vinegar, remaining basil and the baby rocket. Serve the tart topped with a little of the salad, with the remainder alongside, drizzled with olive oil.