700g thick white fish fillets (I used cod loin)
1 tsp ground coriander
Sprinkle black pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 ½tbsp cornflour
Olive oil in a spray bottle
1 small red apple, shaved or cut into fine julienne strips
1 small fennel bulb, shredded
40g baby rocket
50g spinach, finely shredded
Zest and juice 1 lemon
6 tbsp low-fat greek-style yogurt
1 garlic clove, crushed
12 mini soft tortillas, warmed (optional)
Lemon thyme leaves, to garnish
This dish is inspired by a filming trip to Barbados. They serve this in a big white bread roll at the ‘Friday Night Fish Fry’.
For ‘Being The Best You’ the fish is grilled and served with the slaw but without the bread. However, if you are having this for lunch (before 2pm), feel free to wrap in a small flour tortilla.
- Soak 12 small bamboo skewers in water for 10 min. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Cut the fish into 12 even-sized strips (they should be around 1.5–2cm thick and 10cm long). In a small bowl, mix together the spices and cornflour. Put the fish in a single layer on the prepared baking tray and sprinkle over the spice mix.
- Turn and repeat, tossing lightly to coat. Thread each piece of fish on to a skewer.
- Heat the grill to high. Spray the skewers with the olive oil and grill for 2–3 min on each side until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine the apple, fennel, rocket and spinach in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of the lemon juice and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, remaining lemon juice and zest and garlic.
- Divide the slaw and fish evenly among the tortillas. Serve 2 tortillas per person, topped with the dressing and a sprinkling of thyme, if using.