Drizzle olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1⁄2 tsp cayenne pepper
40g plain flour
600ml skimmed milk
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
125g mature cheddar, plus 3 tbsp extra for the topping, grated
1 large cauliflower, cut into florets, steamed for 3-4 minutes, then drained
3 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6.
- Drizzle the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and put over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 mins until starting to soften. Next add the cayenne pepper and flour, then cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and add a little of the milk. Stir quickly – it will thicken immediately. Keep adding milk gradually, stirring constantly. The sauce should be the consistency of double cream. If it looks too thin, bubble to thicken before continuing. When all the milk is added, stir in the mustard and 125g cheddar, then season well with black pepper.
- Next, put the steamed cauliflower in a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish and pour the cheese sauce all over it. Scatter over the breadcrumbs and the 3 tbsp cheddar, then transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the top is golden and crisp and the sauce is bubbling. Leave to stand for 2- 3 minutes before serving with a crisp green salad.