600g white, Albert Bartlett Rooster Potatoes, peeled and diced
600g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
400g extra lean lamb mince, beef mince or turkey mince
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed or chopped
2 tsp tomato puree
450g canned chopped tomatoes
300ml vegetable stock
1 slug of Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
2 tsps of dried oregano,
I tbsp mango chutney (optional)
Serves 4 – 5
(or makes 4/5 small individual pies, suitable for freezing)
- Boil the Albert Bartlett Rooster potatoes and sweet potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes, then mash with the milk using an electric whisk until smooth. Season with pepper.
- In a large pan over a medium heat, dry fry the minced meat until browned. Drain off any excess fat, then add the onion, celery and garlic and fry for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the canned tomatoes, vegetable stock, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and mango chutney (optional). Bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Reduce the heat, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the meat in an ovenproof dish. Spoon the mashed potato mixture over the top and texture the top with a fork.
- Either grill until lightly browned, or pop into a preheated oven at 200c / 400F / gas mark 6 for 20 mins.
- Make small, individual pies if you prefer and freeze for another day!