4 medium (250g each) sweet potatoes, scrubbed & halved lengthways
Spray olive oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
200g chicken breast fillets, chopped
1tsp smoked paprika
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
200g baby plum tomatoes, halved
125g sweetcorn kernels
400g can no added salt kidney beans, drained & rinsed
60g grated mature cheese
Small handful fresh coriander leaves
1 small ripe avocado, peeled and diced
6 tbsp soured cream, to serve, optional
Lime wedges, to serve
This is tasty, nourishing and utterly satisfying food at its finest. Sweet potatoes are stuffed with Mexican-spiced chicken, avocado chunks and tangy cheese in this vibrant meal. Great as a side dish or a party food!
- Heat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Put the sweet potatoes, cut-side up, on tray and bake for 40 min or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 3–4 min until softened. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 min or until browned. Add the paprika and garlic, then cook, stirring, for 1 min. Add the tomatoes, sweetcorn and beans. Stir until combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and set aside to cool slightly. When cool, scoop out and roughly chop the flesh. Add to the bean mixture. Set aside.
- Put the sweet potato skins on the tray. Spray with olive oil. Roast for 12–15 min until just crisp. Spoon the bean mixture into the sweet potato skins. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake the potato skins in the oven for 30–35 min until hot and the cheese has melted. Top with the coriander and avocado, and serve with the soured cream and lime wedges to squeeze over.